Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

soooo

like everyone else on earth, I've read Kai Nagata's reasons for quitting his job, and like everyone else, it got me thinking.

I was also once employed in the glorious news industry. I didn't make a name for myself or go quite as far as Mr. Nagata did, but I did stay in long enough to get jaded. Long enough to have story ideas shot down, long enough to make a few mistakes, long enough to realize not only was I not going to get rich, but I might not be able to pay the rent, and long enough to decide to get out.

I've also now been out of it long enough to get soft. I, like many other Canadians, were enthralled with the royal visit. I couldn't get enough of it. Not once did I think to myself "why is this leading the news?"

So here are a few headlines you might not have heard about on Friday, mainly because Will and Kate were wearing cowboy hats.

Nuke plant equipment fails quake-resistance check

The Japanese government has found that electrical equipment at a nuclear power plant in eastern Japan does not meet earthquake-resistance standards.

Canadian troops start withdrawing from Afghanistan

Canada has begun withdrawing its combat units from Afghanistan, ending a 9-year mission as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force.

Yemen's injured president delivers speech

Yemen's President Ali Abdullah Saleh has delivered a speech via state television from Saudi Arabia, showing his recovery from injuries after last month's bomb attack on his presidential compound.

Report: N.Korea bribed Pakistan military officials

The Washington Post says it has obtained a letter showing that North Korea bribed Pakistani military officials 13 years ago to obtain access to sensitive nuclear technology.

Gunman kills 7 in Michigan shooting rampage

A man suspected of killing 7 people in the US state of Michigan killed himself after a standoff with police on Thursday.

Atlantic bluefin classified as threatened species

An international conservation organization has added the Atlantic bluefin tuna to its list of endangered species.

UN to send 7,900 peacekeepers to South Sudan

The United Nations plans to send nearly 8,000 peacekeepers to South Sudan, which will become the world's newest nation on Saturday.

And those are just from one website.

1 comment:

  1. For once I agree with you Duv. It used to be Paris Hilton, now its those fucking royal twit twats. This is exactly why I refuse to listen to the radio, watch any sort of TV, or participate in any kind of mass media whatsoever. I hear tiny echos of current events trickling in through Facebook or your Blog, but for the most part, living a Bubble is the best way to go!

    To be honest, I don't even know if Paris Hilton is in the news every 30 seconds anymore. She could be, but I'd have no real way of knowing. It was about the height of Paris Hilton obsession that I quit all media.

    ReplyDelete